Tuesday, July 6, 2010

My New Best Friend or Maybe My Worst Enemy

Sorry for the blurry (stolen from the Internet) image!!

I bought one of these a few weeks ago. A lady in my ward brought her steam cleaner when we were cleaning the church a few months ago and I was impressed with the way it cleaned the grout between the tiles in the entrance. After potty training 3 children in this house, no matter how much I clean the grout in the bathrooms I still wonder if it would be better to tear it out and start over.

Along comes Mr. Steam Cleaner.

Grout in bathrooms. Check
Crayon off the wall. Check
Scary stuff dried on the wall. Check
Exterior of refrigerator. Check

I should love it, right?!

Except that I really don't enjoy cleaning that much (does anyone?!). I love to dejunk. I love a clean house. But the everyday wipe the counter for the three millionth time does not inspire me. I would much rather be reading a book or digging in the dirt. When we moved into this house someone told me that I would be a slave to my baseboards and crown molding: "You are going to spend your life cleaning that crown molding!" However, I haven't been a slave at all. On the contrary, I have largely ignored all my molding except for the few times a year I do really, really deep cleanings (are you horrified?!).

Now, the bar has been raised by this simple little machine. I started to clean my baseboards today. I was amazed (or horrified) how dirty they were and how much better they look. So I spent a large part of the day crawling around cleaning baseboards. I love it- areas that have bothered me and that I always ignore are now looking the way I would like.

But I am left wondering. Was I better off living in ignorance? Now I am spotting so many places that I can clean so perfectly and I am faced with a choice: to ignore (and feel guilty because I have seen the higher road) or to be a slave to my baseboards.



PS I think I need to get out of the house. Did I just write a whole post about my steam cleaner? ;-)


PPS No, I did not pay that much for the steam cleaner!!

4 comments:

  1. Gosh, I wonder how good my house would look like with this little machine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh - are you supposed to clean crown molding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have had a cheap version of one of these babies! Loved it until it broke...maybe it's time for another?? I know my house could really use a good cleaning....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. You make me laugh.

    I have a steam cleaner too, but I get it out once every 3 years or so :). My mom had hers out today and started cleaning my car and we actually got it to smell good. Then we were able to clean the little water tray on the front of the fridge that always gets so gross. Maybe I need to pull mine more often.

    ReplyDelete