Friday, January 14, 2011

What Questions Do You Have?


This morning (at 7:00) Rachel came into to kitchen and as she wrapped her sandwich for her lunch she said "Mom . . ."
I was expecting:

Where is the peanut butter?
Can I have those leftover Oreos for my treat?
Can I have yogurt with my toast?

Instead she said:

"Mom, in the scriptures and and church history, sometimes the men can have more than one wife. Can the wife ever have more than one husband?"

She continued "And why can only men hold the priesthood? And why do only the men hold leadership positions in our church?"

And that is what I faced at 7:00 this morning, before my brain could even figure out why it was awake.

I had all the answers (at least my own answers- I am sure that she will find the answers to those questions on her own as she learns and grows).

I am at peace and happy and know my answers to be the truth for me. It was a good reminder that I do love my answers/my testimony.

It was a better reminder that I love this girl and her questions. She has always been a challenge to me and yet everyday I am in awe of her. She has a grown up spirit in that little body.




PS Does your house ever look like a bomb just went off and you can't quite figure out how they do it? Especially the little one who is personally trying to polish off a 10 lb bag of semi sweet chocolate chips despite my best efforts to hide the bag and distract the child. Chocolate chips in warm little chubby baby hands and walls are not a good combination.

4 comments:

  1. What a great challenge to have at 7 AM. :)

    (Amberly commented that N is working on making chocolate chip cookies in his tummy. Maybe he just needs some flour and sugar to finish them off!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've updated the sidebar pictures. So cute!

    I have a question-asker as well (8 years old), but it does makes me wonder why the other kids don't ask lots of questions like she does. How do they figure out all these things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids are such deep thinkers. They must get it from you. I think your kids are going to be amazing adults.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel had those kind of questions for us when we taught her primary. I had two thoughts, how cool that this is a genius child and I hope God helps her parents. :) she's lovely, such a brilliant mind!

    ReplyDelete