Sunday, June 28, 2009

RIP Crabapple

I love our trees. We have planted 19 trees around our yard (2 crabapple, 2 flowering cherry, 2 paperbark maple, 2 zelcova, 2 magnolia, sycamore, nectarine, pluot, peach, cherry, autumn blaze maple, apricot, apple, ginkgo- in case you were wondering!). This weekend we were able to plant a new tree. Although we love planting trees, this was a bittersweet planting. For the last two year we have treated our little Bechtel crabapple for Fire Blight- a really sad tree disease. We hoped it would pull through (two other trees that we also treated are doing a lot better). Unfortunately, this summer it became apparent that the crabapple was losing the battle. So yesterday we went tree shopping and decided to get a Linden. We look forward to the shade this tree will offer our front yard!
This week we also celebrated Joseph's 1/2 birthday. When I asked what kind of cake Joseph wanted, he said "Be creative! How about something like an eagle swooping down catching a rabbit." Ummm yeah. We settled on a tiger.
Last of all I wanted to give a shout out to my cute nephew Ethan who was seen sporting the same outfit as Nathan! It is fun to have matching cousins even if they live so very far apart. And while we are pointing out similarities, both Nathan and Ethan were born on the 19th (one in May, one in June) and both boys have one brother and four sisters!

6 comments:

  1. I just saw Nathan's photo and said--I know that outfit! Too funny! In fact, I just got done posting some more photos of Ethan wearing the same thing! (Except his is a newborn size and won't fit him for too much longer!) For month-twin cousins they also have (kind of) matching names. We didn't do that on purpose, but I guess the -than ending just sounded right for us.

    I love the cake! (Sometimes the kid's cake ideas get a "I don't think so" response from me!) Also, sorry about your tree. I hope the new one does wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your yard is always so beautiful and such a nice place to visit. I didn't realize you had such a long list of trees! Happy half-birthday to Joseph! It's probably time for us to start doing Anwyn's half-birthday--but I think I need some coaching from you on how to do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon Becky - an eagle swooping down on a rabbit is easy:)

    Hope to see you all in a couple weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope that doesn't mean our baby is coming on July 19th!

    ReplyDelete
  5. :) I thought about that--RT&M! I hope he doesn't as well.

    (Although it probably isn't comforting to know that Amberly came 10 days late...)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Condolences on the crabapple, but I'm sure the linden will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete