Sunday, October 23, 2011

We Were Tired of Living in a House

So we packed a bag with sweaters
and socks, with mittens and earmuffs.
And we moved to a tree.








We were tired of living in a house.
So we packed our bags.
And we moved to a castle.




This weekend Paul and I were able to take a little anniversary trip to the Seattle area.  We discovered some really amazing places to stay and visit.  Some of the highlights of our trip included watching the salmon spawning near our tree house, visiting Chihuly's hot shop in the museum of glass, planting bulbs with my cousin in the rain, visiting the Market (without children!), and driving the Five Mile Drive in Point Defiance Park.


 


We had a few interesting/funny things happen on our trip.  Years ago I bought a tree house book for Paul for Christmas.  We have always loved this book.  When we arrived at our tree house we discovered that it was built by the same man that wrote our much loved tree house book!  The tree house was fabulous!  It was like staying in a little luxury cabin 20 feet in the air.  In the morning the branches outside our window had a little (and a not so little) bird hopping around.  It was a very magical place. 

We stayed in the castle on a Thursday night and were almost the only guests.  The caretakers told us that we could explore the whole castle and we did, twice.  It was amazing to see all the different rooms.  I felt like Mary Lennox.  In the morning we ate breakfast down in the grand dining room.  There was a big long table and the two of us.  It was like dining in a big old house in England minus the trip to England!  One of the best parts of the castle was when we walked by the grand piano and there was a LDS hymn book sitting on top.  It made us feel right at home. 

It was so fun to come home.  Nathan kept jumping up and down and yelling "My Daddy, my Daddy!" even though he was talking about me!  It was nice to have a break, but equally nice to return to the busyness of our house. 

7 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you guys came and had such a good time! Miss you already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heard you were in Seattle. Then it was a tree house. Then it was a castle. I guess it was all three! How fun!! I need to be more adventurous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds amazing! I'll have to put that on my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you had such a fabulous time! Anyone who reads this post has now added "Stay in the tree house" and "Sleep in a castle" to their to do lists. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun treat! I'm so glad you got to go and have a great time!

    Did it make up for the backpacking trip? :)

    ReplyDelete