Wednesday, September 19, 2012

One step forward, a thousand steps back

First of all, I need to apologize if you have talked to me in the last 3.5 weeks.  I have undoubtedly thrilled you with the blow by blow account of how potty training was going for the day.  Which is riveting conversation, I know. 

25 days ago we started potty training Nathan for the millionth time.  I would say that he had the system down in January with the small problem that he does not take himself to the bathroom.  We didn't sweat it too much and tried again after we ran out of the next box of diapers and the next box of diapers and the next.  OK so the box of diapers in August was the last and we decided that we would keep going no matter what. 

The picture above shows Nathan's potty sticker charts.  We are making progress but here is the clincher.  He has never taken himself to the bathroom once.  Which means that for every sticker, I remind him or physically walk him to the bathroom so that he will go.  If I don't remind him it is like he has never seen a toilet if you catch my drift.  Without warning he will go the bathroom.  Even if he is sitting on my lap in the middle of Sacrament meeting and has gone 20 minutes before.  Sigh. 

And now I have dedicated a whole blog post to potty training.  But it is rather on my mind. 

11 comments:

  1. So sorry. I'm pretty much resigned to the prospect of being the mom changing a 4 1/2 year old's diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried the potty watch? The one where you can set an alarm to go off every half hour to remind them to go? (and they wear the watch, not you).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking this up on amazon right now! Thanks!

      Delete
  3. So the stickers are for your great efforts--not his--right?

    I think I would learn by #6 that it is always too early for me to say that a child might be potty trained. They may have arrived. Maybe Ethan was just teasing. ?

    Ethan takes a different tactic than Nathan, however. He knows perfectly well how to go and has done it many times on occasion, but it doesn't stop him from showing me otherwise. :) But, there is no going back for us. Even if he has to change a few times a day (ahem)...

    The little 3-year-old cousins must have made a special pact across the miles to teach their moms patience. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is no going back and Nathan runs out of clothes a lot because I can't keep up with laundry that often!

      It is a hard lesson of patience but one that both Nathan and I get to learn!

      I have thought that if we lived close we could rotate the three cousins at a different house each day and potty train all three at once. I can dream:-)

      Delete
  4. So we still haven't really tried full fledged with Carter because he has no interest. Best of luck to you! I know I am not looking forward to it with our stubborn guy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did he really pee on you in sacrament meeting? I'm sorry... I know I shouldn't laugh about it, but I can't help myself. I HATE potty training! Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did and it was pretty tricky walking out of the meeting with my skirt sopping wet. I figured that most people don't pay attention anyway and I don't think anyone noticed! We laugh about it too because it was one of those laugh or cry moments and I usually try to laugh!

      Delete
  6. Taking a look at all those stickers, I think you have earned at least some new make up, if not some jewelry by now! I don't know if I would waste the rewards on the child.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your thinking. I think new makeup sounds good (to replace the makeup he smeared all over my bathroom when he was sitting "going potty" one day)!

      Delete
  7. Google "Potty Patrol". I have my doubts, but maybe it will work. I think Ben would just pull off the alarm, but who knows with Nathan it may work???

    ReplyDelete