Wednesday, October 14, 2009

A Bubble

Little Miss A loves gum. A pack of gum is not safe in our house. I completely understand the dangers of children chewing gum (gum in hair, gum in carpet, gum in sister's hair, gum in stomach for seven years;-). However, for my children to stop chewing gum, I would need to stop chewing gum first. It is a habit I picked up in Jr High and have never stopped. I try to keep my chewing within socially acceptable bounds (I understand that many people argue that any gum chewing is not socially acceptable). I do find it funny that my children will copy many of my less desirable behaviors and not pick up on the nice ones- like washing dishes- I do it all the time, but none of my children feel a great need to copy this behavior. I think I will call it: Selective Mimicry.

I love to watch my children's obsessions with learning certain things like whistling, cartwheels, handstands, stacking dominoes, etc. They are persistent in attaining these important skills. In their eyes, the ability to blow bubbles ranks among the top desirable talents. They ask me countless questions about how to do it, they practice whenever they get their little mouths on gum, and until recently, none of them had achieved the feat.

In our family "first to blow a bubble race," Adrie has blown away the competition.

4 comments:

  1. What talent--I'm blown away, too!! Such a cute little movie.

    Maybe I could teach Caroline how to blow a bubble. She loves to eat gum (eat. not. chew. the. entire. pack.)...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Learning to blow a bubble is definitely a rite of passage. Your kids are all so adorable, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a talent. I wish I could do that-seriously!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like she and Carina would get along great. Carina will practice the piano all afternoon if she can have another piece of gum every 15 minutes. :) Cute little movie!

    ReplyDelete