Monday, April 22, 2013

3000 miles

A few weeks ago we jumped in the car and drove 3000 miles in 8 days.  OK, so we didn't quite jump in the car.  Packing for 8 requires a little more time than that:-)  Our destination: Nauvoo, IL and everything within 400 miles of the planned route. 
The trip was amazing.  There will be more to come about my favorite parts.  For now, a memory I will treasure is an early morning run I took down Parley Street to the Mississippi River.  It was quite, peaceful, and cold.  Cold enough that I could very well imagine the pioneers lining that street. 

On my last visit to Nauvoo I was about the start my second year of college.  I had no idea where my life would lead in the next year, let alone the next 15 years.  On my last visit to Nauvoo, there was no temple- just a big grassy lot- waiting. 

When I turned to run back up the hill I saw what that grassy lot had waited for all those years.  And it took my breath away. 

4 comments: