Sunday, March 22, 2009

Mountains

When I was growing up I always felt surrounded by mountains: the Superstitions to the east, South Mountain to the southwest, and Camelback on the way to Granny's house. I was blessed to grow up in a hiking family and actually spent a lot of time camping on mountains, climbing mountains, and driving up and down mountains. Understandably, I tend to associate different stages of my life with mountains. Four Peaks: I love these mountains. They oversaw many hikes in the desert as well as picking prickly pears.
The eyelash (or praying monk) on the Camelback mountain. When we saw the monk, we knew we were pretty close to Granny's house.
Red Mountain. I remember when Red Mountain was waaaayyy out there. I think it is in the middle of the city now!

When I went to college, I lived right at the base of Y Mountain. As I would walk home from class, I can remember feeling claustrophobic- I felt like the mountains would fall down on top of me. Now, when I drive towards the Y, I feel like I am coming home.
Now this is my mountain. I need to hike to the top- but that will have to wait until next year. I love it in the winter with snow. I love to watch the sun come up behind it as I run. I especially love it when it turns pink at sunset.


2 Nephi 12:2-3 "And it shall come to pass in the last days, when the mountain of the Lord's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills, and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the Lord, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths."
This afternoon we were able to attend the dedication of the Draper Temple. It was a really nice experience. The best part was that Joseph and Rachel were old enough to attend. They were both really excited. I hope it is something that they remember the rest of their lives. I am grateful for temples and especially grateful that Paul and I were able to be sealed in the temple nearly 12 years ago!

2 comments:

  1. i love all those mountains! great post becky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You found some lovely pictures. That's wonderful to be able to go to the dedication. :) You're so blessed to have such great views out your windows--such inspiration!

    ReplyDelete