Friday, March 13, 2009

Words of the Day

Echolocation: Echolocating animals emit calls out to the environment and listen to the echoes of those calls that return from various objects in the environment. They use these echoes to locate, range, and identify the objects. Echolocation is used for navigation and for foraging (or hunting) in various environments.



In our case, we have the actual echo wandering around our house. Katie is right in the middle of her echo stage. I call one of the kids, "Adrie!" and seconds later I hear a little echo "Adrie!" She currently copies all sounds, behavior, and attitudes that she observes. It is pretty cute. Oh, did I mention that she copies ALL behavior? This includes putting her feet on the dinner table (copied from Skye), cracking eggs (when my back is turned), and making juice (as pictured- she sees Paul do this almost every night). The other day I gave her a cup of water. She quickly made it clear that I had forgotten her ice. After I corrected the problem, she commenced with the oddest behavior. She would shake her cup and look inside and she would tap the cup against her hand and look inside. What was she doing? Who is she copying? Which leads us to our next word of the day.

Pica: The regular consumption of nonfood substances such as clay or laundry starch or an abnormal appetite for some things that may be considered food.
Yesterday I went to a Dr's appointment or more specifically, an appointment with the midwife. When she asked me how this pregnancy was going I said "I am eating ice again." I have to say again because I have done this with every pregnancy. She asked if I was anemic- No, they always test me and I am never anemic. Then she said "Well, if you are not anemic, you have Pica." So at long last I have my answer. Why do I consume large quantities of ice during pregnancy? Because I have an "eating disorder" that has no explanation. This morning I pulled out my nutrition book and read about pica. I have decided that I am content with my ice crunching considering I could be eating: baking soda, burnt matches, clay, cloth, coal, cornstarch, crayons, dirt, hair, leaves, mothballs, nylon stockings, paint chips, paper, pebbles, plaster, sand, string or wool. My nutrition book also informed me that pagophagia or ice eating, is defined by the consumption of one or more trays of ice cubes a day. Ha. I have that beat. Considering that at my worst I have consumed a 10 lb bag of ice in 3 days, I think I meet this qualification. Although pagophagia is often linked to iron deficiency, it is also linked to pregnancy.

Last night I broke the news to Paul. He wasn't surprised since he has to endure the sound of my crunching for months on end! His response was "If it is an eating disorder, can you control it or stop it?" Hmm a good question. I have often wondered if I could just quit my habit. Sometimes I feel like an addict and these are my suppliers:


Pictured: My ice maker with a crushed ice setting, Maceys, a local supermarket that sells the 10 lb bags of pebbled ice, and Sonic, a good source of pebbled ice, although I get it with just water!

It is hard to describe my need for ice. I found a good description in my nutrition book: "Pica has a forceful calling card: Pica permits the mind no rest until it is satisfied." Last night I weighed my options. Should I try and quit? Should I just make it through this pregnancy and hope for minimal damage to my teeth? Considering all the things I could be craving (ice cream, cake, cookies, etc) is ice that bad? I came to the conclusion that if this was something I was facing long term, I would seek help or get rid of my refrigerator! However, my pica literally ends within hours of giving birth.

When you show up at the hospital to have a baby and they tell you "you can only have ice chips," Paul always laughs and tells them to bring a bigger cup. Soon after I deliver a baby, Paul usually asks if I would like a cup of ice- just to witness the incredible transformation- I go from eating cups and cups of ice to nothing. Cold turkey. Although I always drink ice water, I never, never, never chomp on ice.

In the meantime, I apologize for my habit! Paul bears the brunt of the problem- he is the one that has to turn the up volume on the DVD so he can hear over the crunch, he fills my cup at dinner (the ice crusher is a lovely feature, but takes time!), and he has been known to stop at Sonic and ask them for the largest cup they have completely filled with ice with just a little water to wet it down (they charge about $.10). He is patient and never complains. It may seem like a little thing, but isn't life mainly a collection of how we react to all the little things?

Now excuse me, I need to go refill my cup.

7 comments:

  1. i am so glad you have your answer! this is amazing! pica always freaked me out, i never would have put ice in the non-edible category! maybe paul should record your "post baby cold turkey" transformation for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to add my voice as someone with a little experience with psychology. I really don't think it qualifies as pica. I highly doubt any (good) psychologist would diagnose you with pica because it's not really maladaptive and you don't seem overly distressed about it. I guess if you are spending an inordinate amount of time seeking ice and it is interfering with your normal life then it could qualify as a disorder but otherwise there is no point in diagnosing it. I guess if it was severely interfering with Paul's life and he was pretty distressed about it, it might qualify as a disorder:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I needed to add that I'm not saying it isn't pica, I'm just saying that I wouldn't diagnose you; I guess someone could say something like the following in a report: "She exhibits features of pica but does not qualify for a diagnosis because the behaviors are limited to eating ice during the last few months of pregnancy...."

    I'm not an expert on pica though. Typically you see it in children when they eat hair or vast quantities of dirt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aha an in-family psychologist giving you advice. :)

    I love your words for the day and your little copy cat Katie. It's amazing what they pick up. Caroline certainly isn't to that level, but she'll put her hands on her hips if I am and mimic others in little ways. :)

    On ice. What a funny thing! I thought of the hospital ice and then you mentioned that in the next paragraph. I've heard of several (non-pregnant) ladies who go to Sonic just for the ice--they buy it by the bag and take it home so they have an ever-ready stash. (Maybe I shouldn't have told you that...) At least you just have a couple more months left...and as you say it could be ice cream or chocolate or dirt(!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember learning about pica in my FSN class at BYU. Interesting stuff. I'm glad you're not chomping on paint chips or something else harmful. I say, indulge yourself - that's the least you can do to reward yourself for your 6th pregnancy. By the way, they also sell it by the bag at Taco Amigo, in case Macey's and Sonic runs out :)

    On another note - I didn't know you had a blog. I stumbled across it from Angi's. Fun fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE ice when I'm pregnant too. Our poor teeth and husbands!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had the same thing in every pregnancy and wonder, if it's hereditary, what our ancestors did who had no access to ice.

    My husband also found it funny after each baby arrived to offer me a cup of ice just to see me shudder and turn away in disgust.

    My other funny pregnancy thing was that I couldn't eat spicy foods (chili peppers, hot salsa, etc.) since that tasted like soap, and chocolate was totally off limits, since it tasted absolutely nasty. Glad I'm not pregnant! (Hope your pregnancy goes well! :)

    ReplyDelete