Sunday, September 27, 2009

Today in Relief Society the teacher taught Elder Uchtdorf's talk The Influence of Righteous Women from the Sept 2009 Ensign. She asked the class to share personal stories about women who have influenced their life. I didn't share my story in class, but I wanted to share it here.

Elder Uchtdorf states:

"The scriptures give us names of several women who have blessed individuals and generations with their spiritual gifts. Eve, the mother of all living; Sarah; Rebekah; Rachel; Martha; Elisabeth; and Mary, the mother of our Savior, will always be honored and remembered. The scriptures also mention women whose names are unknown to us but who bless our lives through their examples and teachings, like the woman of Samaria whom Jesus met at the well of Sychar (see John 4), the ideal wife and mother described inProverbs 31, and the faithful woman who was made whole just by touching the Savior’s clothes (see Mark 5:25-34).

As we look at the history of this earth and at the history of the restored Church of Jesus Christ, it becomes obvious that women hold a special place in our Father’s plan for the eternal happiness and well-being of His children.

I hope that my dear sisters throughout the world—grandmothers, mothers, aunts, and friends—never underestimate the power of their influence for good, especially in the lives of our precious children and youth!"


A week or so ago I had a hard morning with the children. After the older children got off to school, I sat down in my room feeling overwhelmed. Actually I was a little more than overwhelmed. Have you ever had one of those mornings where everything just seems to weigh down your spirit? As I thought about my children, about the state of my house, about the weeds in the backyard, about projects left undone; my list of "abouts" kept getting longer and my heart kept getting heavier. I had a little pity party with myself and shed quite a few tears. Then, because I have been taught what to do when I am feeling down, I knelt and said a little selfish prayer: "Heavenly Father, I know I need to count my blessings, I know I need to get to work, I know I need to serve someone else, but I am just sad. I feel alone. I know this is not generally the way things work, but if possible, could I have someone let me know that they are thinking about me today?" Then I stood up and went to work.

A few hours later the phone rang. I started laughing when I saw the caller ID "Jackson White" (my Mom's cell phone). Mom, "Hi, I have been thinking about you all morning and just wanted to call to see how you were doing."

I am grateful for a Mother who is an instrument in the Lord's hands. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father that answers even selfish prayers.

4 comments:

  1. i love and totally believe in the tender mercies of the lord - i pray and rely on that OFTEN!! I am sorry you had a bad day though
    :-( you are an amazing person

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, how you run a house of six kids I'll never know. I struggle every day with just my three. I'm in awe, and know that you are an amazing mother. Sorry you were having a rough day.
    (On a sidenote, I found your SIL's website through you...was looking to see if Kristy had a blog and you had a link to it. But when I saw her page, I fell in love with all the cute ideas she had. So instead of bookmarking it, I added it to my list so it was easy for me to look at. If you want me to take it off I can, just thought others might like to benefit from all her cute crafty ideas.)

    ReplyDelete