Sunday, April 26, 2009

Daily Daffodil 4/26



Dear Mom,

One of my favorite memories from childhood was coming home from school for lunch. As best as I can remember, we were allowed to come home once a week for lunch. Now I realize that with several children attending elementary school at a time, this meant that you would need to be home several days out of the week at lunchtime. I recall one specific time that I came home and you had the pink tent set up in the sun room. You brought me strawberries in milk for lunch! What a treat! I have had several friends comment that they felt lost in a big family- that they never felt like an individual. I never had this feeling and now thinking of specific things that you did as a mother, I can understand why.

Recently I have been thinking about how you can teach your children to set specific goals in their life- goals like going to college, missions, temple marriage, and families. These were always my goals, but I don't remember a specific time when we talked about them (although I'm sure it happened!). Last week, I was going through some picture frames and found the frame that you did for us when were were little.

Most of the spaces were filled with pictures of Grandparents, of when I was a baby, family pictures, etc. There were a few blank spot that I had never filled with pictures. These spaces were "reserved." On the paper backing was written: "Reserved for my High School Graduation Picture," and "Reserved for my Temple Wedding Picture." Looking at the frame I remembered the many times I stood in front of that frame and looked at the pictures and read those captions. You probably didn't think much of it when you wrote those words (or maybe you did!), but I know that it became a part of who I was and who I am today.

I think the only problem I can find with your Motherhood is that you made it look too easy! It seemed perfectly normal to me that my Mom would be able to make 5 dresses for Easter, can peaches, pack for a camping trip, keep the house clean, read books, help with homework, cook bread from scratch, make trays of chocolates, plan and cook food for 75 people at A Camp, care for seven children, and many, many other things. Now I know how much energy it takes to load several children into the car and I marvel that we went anywhere or did anything when we were young. You were and are amazing!

As a mother I am painfully aware of my shortcomings. I know I do many things wrong, I know I need to be better. Knowing this, I am sure that you can look back and think of things that you would do differently. However, for what it is worth, please know that you were and are the perfect mother for me. I am grateful for your sacrifices and love.

I love you!
Love,
Becky

4 comments:

  1. You sure have a wonderful mom! Oh wait, she's my mom too! :) Mom really is great. A while back I posted a few things she told me about experiences in her life.

    http://ahouseofprayer.blogspot.com/2009/02/divine-role-of-motherhood-part-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was very nice. I certainly agree!

    Ahh...to have elementary school close enough to be able to walk home for lunch (besides the fact we had complete freedom to just walk off campus and go home...and 50 minutes to spend).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the comments about Mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can I say something even though I'm not family!? The thing I remember about your mom is that exciting time my mom was flown away during her pregnancy with Jake ... I woke up to find your mom already there cleaning things up and taking care of us. And she made me feel safe, - that no nonsense, things are going to get done and things will be ok and no hysteria anywhere. You do have a great mom!

    ReplyDelete