Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Daily Daffodil 4/28


Dear Dad,

One of my favorite things about growing up was all the time we spent camping, hiking, and spending time as a family outdoors. I especially loved learning how to rappel. I was lucky enough to be your helper for many of the times that you taught girls camp, scout groups, and young women's groups the basics of rappelling. I had a lot of fun helping and I learned a lot of things along the way (things become embedded in your mind after you hear them 60+ times teaching A camp to rappel!). Although some of these teachings apply only to rappelling, many quickly make the jump to "real life." I won't elaborate to try and keep myself from waxing poetic.

Lessons from Rappelling


Pull your hair back from your face (unless you want it cut off)

Take care of the equipment

Trust the equipment

Don't step on the ropes

Always have a safety on the rope

Don't throw rocks

Lean out

Trust the teacher

Don't let go of the rope

You need to have a good rock or tree to anchor you at the top- possibly two anchors

You have to make it to the bottom- you can't stop in the middle of the cliff

Listen to the teacher

It takes a lot of effort to find a good rappelling cliff

You can do it- even if you are really scared

Don't look down

Thank you for all that you taught me and continue to teach me. I am grateful for the time that we spent together and the lessons I learned along the way. You are an exceptional father.

I love you!
Love,
Becky

3 comments:

  1. :) Love these lessons!

    It's always nice to have a whole packet of life experiences to draw on. Thanks (to you and dad!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the nice comments. I hope the rappelling girls learned some of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just telling Andrew about climbing when we were walking up Rock Canyon the other day. Thanks, Dad.

    ReplyDelete