Friday, May 1, 2009

Daily Daffodil 5/1

Dear Whitney,

Do you remember the first time we met? I was assigned to be your friend in church and show you where to find your Mom after primary. We were in second grade. I was amazed to learn that you had moved in across the street! How lucky could I be to have a friend right across the street?! (I am not quite sure how I missed the whole moving in process! Kids really are oblivious to the world!) The funny part is that although I have a distinct memory of meeting you, I don't remember becoming friends- we just were. Now, almost 25 years later, I am so glad that we are still friends. We don't walk to school together everyday, but I truly treasure the times that we can get together. There are so many things that I enjoy about our friendship.

I can't resist a few "do you remember when . . ." Do you remember when we were playing in the park and we decided to pretend that our legs had stopped working and we dragged ourselves home using only our arms? Do you remember having contests to see who could stand in the middle of the street the longest in the middle of the summer? Do you remember playing Kitty in the Corner in the Nemer's front yard? Do you remember getting into a mud fight in the park? Do you remember learning to dance the hula? Do you remember taking turns climbing into a suitcase on wheels and giving each other rides down the sidewalk? There are many more memories- years worth- but looking back, the thing that amazes me is the level of creative play and general craziness that we came up with. I imagine that we both had interesting ideas of things to do to fill the summer, but the other friend was always a willing partner in each idea. Having such a good friend certainly enriched my childhood.

I love that we both enjoy books. I have always loved sharing books with you and getting your recommendations. From Anne of Green Gables to Life of Pi it is always so fun to talk to someone that equally loves and understands books.

Even though we don't get together as much as I would like, I am so glad that we can get together at all! It is always so much fun to see you and pick up where we left off. You always amaze me with your classiness, your sense of style, and your up-to-dateness.

"Marilla," she demanded presently, "do you think that I shall ever have a bosom friend in Avonlea?"
"A-a what kind of a friend?"
"A bosom friend- an intimate friend, you know- a really kindred spirit to whom I can confide my inmost soul. I've dreamed of meeting her all my life. Do you think it's possible?"

I love you!
Love,
Becky

PS Do you remember that we used to see if we could high kick our legs over that pine tree in your front yard. You can see it in the background in the picture where we are leaving for your wedding. It is a little tall for high kicks!

2 comments:

  1. super sweet post! you guys were the best of friends. how fun you guys have never really lost touch, and you still see eachother. TRUE FRIENDS! lucky girls!

    ReplyDelete