Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Daily Daffodil 5/6




Dear Eliza,

Happy Birthday to your sweet Lucy. How can she be one already? I remember those bright, bright eyes in the hospital. What a beautiful little girl. I hope you have a nice day!

I like this picture of you playing the piano. It reminds me of all the years that I grew up hearing about Eliza instead of knowing Eliza. As the oldest sister you were an intimidating person to follow. I think you were always intimidating because you seemed to excel at everything you tried. I am very grateful that you decided to go to ASU and that we were able to become friends (our age difference had limited our friendship before- I think I was 10 when you left for college- when you came back I was in high school and we were able to relate as peers a little better!). Now as friends, I can appreciate your excellence because I understand how much hard work, time and effort go into everything you try. I am not intimidated anymore, I am just motivated to follow your example in so many aspects of life.

I love this quote: "If we strive for perfection- the best and the greatest- and never settle for mediocrity, we can excel" Spencer W. Kimball. I see your life reflected in this quote.

Recently you made a beautiful dress for Lucy. To truly appreciate the dress, you have to see it in person and understand how completely fantastic it is. All of the top stitching is even, the details (pintucks and ribbon) are perfect, and everything is done neatly. However, the dress has more meaning when you understand how much work and effort you put into it. First of all, you took the classes at the Bernina store to learn how to use your machine. You figured out what tools you needed to finish the dress. You spent a lot of time on the dress (I am not sure how long, but I know you had to fit it in between taking care of the cute children!). So while on the surface you just seemed to turn out this cute little dress, I know that you really did "strive for perfection" in making it.

There are so many more examples of how you approach a problem (cooking chocolate cake, finishing a bathroom, raising children) and with research, the right tools, and a lot of hard work have an incredible end product. I am so grateful that I can watch you go through this process. You teach me, motivate me, and inspire me all the time. I am glad that we are friends and sisters!

I love you!
Love,
Becky

1 comment:

  1. What a cute baby picture of Lucy! :)

    Thanks for the fun post--thanks to Eliza and thanks to Becky!

    ReplyDelete